Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Buy the Silicone candle mold here. You can click on the picture to enlarge it.

I received a few emails about the flamingo candle, and since the majority of the questions were in regards to the 2 tone color, I want to show how it’s done.
I want to start by mentioning that novelty candle making can be a bit different than making pillars or jar candles. There may seem like there are a lot steps to it, but the learning curve is pretty short.

I trust that you have completed your own research and are using the typical safety techniques associated with candle making. So much of it is trial and error. That's part of the beauty of making your own candles. If you don't like it, you can always re-melt it.

This little tutorial explains how “I” made the candle, just because it works for me and the materials I use, doesn't mean you will get the same results. You will need to do your own testing and practice practice practice.

Materials: You need your core candle. Two pots of wax with concentrated dye: one pot green, one pot pink (make sure your pots are deep enough to dip the candle into. You’ll also need some black paint (cheapy acrylic paint is perfect, I get mine at Micheals Craft store for .69 cents) a paintbrush. Last but not least you want to finish it off with some spray gloss (this is what I used for the candle) or a bucket of dipping glaze. It’s up to you to decide if you want to use this stuff, but it really makes those colors pop!

When making your core candles, don't forget to leave the wick long. You'll be holding the wick while you make your dips into the colored wax or into the dipping glaze. If you pour your cores and add your wick later, make sure you secure the wick well enough that it doesn't pull out of the candle. (Its sucks to lose a candle in a tub of dipping glaze.)

Heat both pots of your concentrated dye mix to about 180. It doesn't really matter which color you start with, I started with pink; holding the bottom of the candle I dipped the top part into the wax, after two dips, I set it aside for a moment while I checked my temps for the green dye, I then took the bird and dipped the grassy part into the green dye mix. The more you dip, the thicker the layers will be, So don’t do to many.

Now get out your black paint and paintbrush and paint the legs, eyes and the face part..or you can elimate that altogether, it’s really up to you. I did search online to see what a real flamingo looked like. I didn't find any with black faces but I think it looked better than without.

Finish your flamingo off with a coat of dipping glaze or spray gloss, and trim the wick. Viola you’re done.
Posted by Glowlite Candles

No comments:

Post a Comment