Thursday, April 21, 2011

Metallic over-dipping

In the past when I wanted my candles to have a gold, silver or copper finish, I would buy metallic spray paint. The end results were beautiful but the process of spray painting candles isn't very fun. It's time consuming and messy. Taking about 1/2 hour to spray 20 sm. candles, 20 mins getting all the paint out from underneath my nails, then a few hours before I would have feeling back in my index finger.

Hoping that metallic over-dips would free me from having to ever use spray paint again, I purchased a few pounds of each color and set to work testing them.

They don't mix well at all with wax. You have to stir like crazy, dip your core, then stir again before you can dip again. The metallic stuff hangs out at the bottom of your vat and no matter how much I stired the dye would not incorporate fully in to the wax.

The finish was duller than I would have thought it would be, but a coat of gloss does help.

It's been about 4 months now since I started playing around with the metallic over-dips. Yes, they can be a pain in the ass but I've decided that I like em anyway and I'll continue using them.

originally posted by glows candle molds

No comments:

Post a Comment